Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day...

A collection of photographs today, starting with one I took actually last August in Dallas at Dealey Plaza. Was a nice morning of cool air in that hot-as-hell town (especially in the middle of summer), and had a pending trip to Hawaii (not mine) weighing heavily on my mind. But there is something mystical about that place, where JFK was murdered by LBJ... I mean, by the Cubans and the Mafia... err, I meant Lee Harvey Oswald. Yes, I know the Warren Commission concluded... anyway, brief distraction: I loved this flag flying in this place that seems still haunted by Kennedy's death, and eerie to be in after seeing it so many times on TV.


Plus the flag just seemed appropriate on Memorial Day, in so many ways.

The last three were photos I took today, all around my parents' yard. Each offered something different as a perspective on this day. The dill made me think of salmon cakes at Elmo's with extra dill sauce.

The pink peony was particularly intriguing with its diversity of folds, and one little looping petal coming up to greet the sky a bit above the others. They smelled wonderful (another failure of the senses) and they were particularly nice in the early morning light.

Finally, these dried leaves from the table on the deck were particularly apropos for the day. Two years ago, she reached out and brought me into her life. Today, to be here – better, stronger, but without her – still feels bittersweet.

So I guess as much as it is Memorial Day, it is also memories day. Those are never the easiest days...

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers