Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Whole lotta miles

Today, I passed 200,000 miles on my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. She's a trooper (and she's seen a few of them too, but that's another story...). I can tell you exactly where I was when I passed 100,000 miles (under the bridge at MM152 on Interstate 40/85 west, near Mebane), and today's hallmark occurred about MM79 on Interstate 40 west.


I've had my car approximately 65 months, which means I've driven approximately 36,000 miles a year over that period of time. While the days of her semi-retirement are fast approaching, she has a new potential driver on the horizon. She and MK will make a good pair, as long as I can get the governor on the accelerator before then...

Tonight's photo was in downtown Franklin. After dinner, I drove around to see what might strike my eye. I am slowly collecting courthouses, so I went to take a photo of Macon County's 1960's era structure. Lots of brick, nice architectural pieces to it (no, there is no photograph of it here...), but very perfunctory. Very unlike the ones from Cherokee and Jackson Counties that I have taken in the last few weeks.

But as I was turning around to go back down the street toward the hotel, I noticed a weathervane atop this building and then the clouds behind it really caught my eye. I had to move down the street a bit to get the perspective and the combination of the two the way I wanted. And when I did, I was very pleased.

Had a good long drive today, with a couple productive stops along the way. A great conversation with some perspective on a damaged friendship, and its impact on family relationships, and a great way to start my drive west. Had a great email from Drew tonight, and a few minutes with MK about how it doesn't count as holding your breath if you are breathing through your nose, and how she can hear Jim Dale's voice when she is reading Harry Potter books.

I am filled with blessings today in so many ways, but feel this rock in my chest tonight for reasons I cannot fully understand. Maybe sleep will cure it.

Speedometer: D300 95mm f/5.6 1/125 (flash -3.0) ISO 400
Weathervane: D300 130mm f/5.6 1/100 ISO 400

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers