Saturday, June 12, 2010

Walking, walking, walking...

We are tired of walking. Mary Kathryn and I woke up this morning and could not go do a walk across the bridge because our car would not start so we headed out on the town to walk. I think that neither of us ever want to walk again. We went from our hotel, to Sears Fine Foods for breakfast, then the unbelievable Farmers Market at the San Francisco Ferry Building for a wide collection of goodies. We enjoyed a pound of mixed cherries (half Bing, half Rainier), some almonds and bought some hot Korean red garlic for a friend who loves both hot and garlic. I'm sure she'll make something yummy with it! Then we walked down the Embarcadero to the Aquarium of the Bay so that MK's love of aquarii (that should be the plural of aquariums, so deal with it spell check!) could be sated. They have these amazing tubes that allow you to walk under the bay and see the sea life in their natural habitat. I think she loved it!

Afterwards, we returned to the Farmers Market to recover something I lost (which I will share more about later) and then walked around the art market across the street. Incredibly talented individuals who set up booth to sell all these goods made with their hands and their hearts and we did the best kind of window shopping. But afterwards, we were pooped.


Returning to the hotel to bring back what we had bought "so we wouldn't have to carry it," we both laid on the bed, and rested for a couple hours while the US and England played to a 1-1 tie. Then... out and about again. Apparently young women love Century 21 and H&M, so I assisted today in the shopping at the previous store since I had already done my H&K duty the day before. Who knows where I will wind up today. Then Patrick and Ja'Nene Kane came to town and the fun really began.

I love to introduce people to my children because they really are not children. Fascinating conversations and they are such real people. And if I thought they rattled on needlessly (well, Drew does occasionally), I would stop them. But watching Mary Kathryn hold her own was so impressive. She is so smart, and worldly, and does it all without the obvious need to make herself look important. As the four of us walked down to Anchor & Hope (a great!!! seafood restaurant in SoMo in what appeared to be an old firehouse), the two of them talked and talked and talked as I scared them in my street crossing styles.

After dinner, we decided to walk our unbelievable meals off (the women enjoyed steak and Patrick and I both had this Ahi dish that was complex and wonderful) because we could barely move. So back to Union Square so I could find a Three Lions jersey (no luck) and to just prattle on. Patrick received his nickname from Mary Kathryn -- Wonderbread -- because of a pair of shorts she saw at Quicksilver that was the same pattern as the Wonder Bread bag. And that will be his name now FOREVER.

We ended our night at Northern Lights -- the original Beat generation bookstore, in North Beach, and then walked through Chinatown to get back to the hotel, walking, laughing, and, of course taking pictures. As we parted in the lobby of the Hilton, I was pleased that the Kanes were sadder to see Mary Kathryn go as they were to say good night to me. I am a blessed daddy...

So now as I prepare to lay my head down to rest, I want to share with you one funny aspect of this trip: I have lost, and recovered, something every day here. On Wednesday, when Gene dropped us off at the airport, I nearly let him drive off with the boarding passes and did let him leave with the iPad and my to-do list. Thankfully I realized it before we left and he kindly returned to the airport so I could collect it (hey, it has my work, and my books, and my pictures, and... I just wanted it, ok!?!?!? No, I am NOT addicted to it.... ok, David, breathe... it's ok...).

Thursday, as we were boarding the plane, I dropped my cell phone in my checked bag and then freaked out looking for it. But as I discussed then, I actually was ok with it when I realized that I had not really lost it, but it had to be in my bag. Friday, I could not find the keys to Ja'Nene's car for a little while, which cause me great panic. But Saturday's loss was nearly the worst reaction. At the aquarium, I asked MK for a lens I was sure (and I was wrong in being so sure) had asked her to hold. She didn't have it. I panicked. I blamed her (wrongly) and then began backtracking to figure out where I had left it. We discovered it had been left at the place where I had bought almonds, and they still had it, thank GOD! But the hard part was not apologizing and accepting blame (because I actually do that better than I should)... When I had it back, Mary Kathryn asked me if finding it was like finding a lost child. I said, 'no.' She seemed surprised and I just looked at her and said: "I could buy a new lens, and yes while I love my camera, finding my child who I thought I lost would be such a different reaction than this. You are irreplaceable and my joy would be so different, that I cannot describe it." And she smiled a little inside, asked me to buy her a water and some Skittles, and we walked, hand-in-hand, out into the sun again.

Have a blessed day, friends...

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers