Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday Morning

A little thread of good eats lately, but this morning's entry has a bit of melancholy to it. Joined a couple friends for lunch after church today to take some pictures for their recently announced engagement and the only place that I could think of to eat at on Sunday morning was The Federal.


The Federal is this little bar on Main Street in Durham, across from Brightleaf Square, with some of the most amazing food you'd ever find. It's unassuming and surprising, and a place where I almost never eat off the menu. Every day they have a little sheet of specials, and every day those treats reflect something unique, and wonderful, and well worth setting aside what you really wanted when you walked in there.

The times have changed the place -- you can't smoke in restaurants any more, and that loss is something I frankly miss, but that is for other reasons. However at this stage there is nothing to do about that. But as I sat there, knowing the time of day, the day of the week and where I would normally have been a little more than a year ago at that time was sitting in this booth.

But I cannot mourn the past. I have made my changes. I am who I am and honest about how I feel and better than I ever was. I cannot control what she or anyone else does. I am comfortable about what I believe and want. Today was just another day on that journey.

...and yes, the word of that song, and you singing it to me did not leave my thoughts when I wrote this blog...

D300 29mm f/4.5 1/250 ISO 400

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers