Saturday, February 20, 2010

Heaven on Earth...

What a great day today was... shorts weather, windows open, inspired cleaning and a late morning of sleep.


My bathroom and my bedroom feel better than they have in months and my place seems to breathe better with the winter looking like it's been chased away. Mary Kathryn also worked on her room, and Drew... well, Drew was working on some random project, cutting coke cans with nearly dull scissors and making guns, arrows, spears and other random weapons or tools.

Today's warm air resulted in MK and I wearing shorts out on our trip to the NC Museum of Natural History. As we walked in, and around, she said: "I expected more people to be wearing shorts...but we're the only ones." She grabbed my hand, gave me a little squeeze of pride, and we launched our way through some "learning."

We ended our adventure with a visit to God's greatest gift of fried flour and yeast, Krispy Kreme... I love the one near downtown Raleigh. It's the old mothership style — not the fancy modern versions that I think are hideous and look like they were approved by the Cary Planning Department. The old ones are white, and green, and appear to have fallen out of the fifties. And when the neon sign is on... hmm...

The original mothership style was on Stratford Road in Winston-Salem, and I used to make an excuse to stop there nearly every time I passed through during college or afterwards, until the interstate was built. You could sit there and watch the donuts be made: squirted out, frying, flipped, bathed in the magical glazing and then plucked from the belt... right into a box to be handed to a paying customer. It was like understanding the creation story for the first time. Hmm...

After our sugar fix, we travelled home and just hung out tonight. I watched The Queen on AMC, after watching 2010. It was weird when I told Drew I was watching 2010 and he pointed out the obvious -- Dad, that's this year. To think, we were supposed to be nine years after sending humans to Jupiter and yet, here we are, barely out of near-Earth orbit. Makes me so sad. But seeing Dame Helen Mirren moved from the Russian captain of the ship headed to Juniper to the monarch of the British empire was fascinating.

So I hope you had a good day. We did.

D90 85mm f/8 1/1000 ISO 400

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers