Saturday, August 21, 2010

The 'Tow

So at the last minute this morning, I came to Bartow, Florida for the closing ceremonies of the Gerald and Melanie wedding trilogy. Thankfully, unlike the Star Wars movies, the drama has gotten less stressful as we've moved through each episode, but it is still just as fun. Melanie and I have wandered through the discussion of whether or not we are siblings at times through this -- in the end, we've determined it just seems that way.

Today, the excitement both she and Gerald had in me being there, and taking me around Oldtown, Lakeland and Bartow, showing me the sights, reminded me about the extreme value of true friendship. It was tying up a bow around their lives, to see and meet the people that have been a part of the 'tow part of their life together was a wonderful gift to receive.

The reception was a mix of many people who hang around the Bartow Public Golf Course, their friends from his various groups of friends, and his daughter, and her husband and children. The people ranged from all walks, and all were such fun, genuine people that I felt honored to just share the space of celebration with them. Catching them all in this setting, as the cameraman who also participates, has been one of the best parts of this. It makes me less certain that I could ever do this for someone I didn't know, and care for a very great deal.

Woke from a nap with bad thoughts, fears and emptiness, and ultimately just drank and talked and photographed my way away from that. The waves that come will always come.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers