Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Lonely, Confident Daisy

Woke up early, lots on my mind... none of it about you, all of it about you.


I drove through some amazing scenes today -- from Asheville to Johnson City (the road up to the state line and then down into Johnson City was amazing for its views) and then from Johnson City to Boone via US 321. It had been many a year since I had traveled that road and loved the nooks and crannies, the way Watauga Lake fit in, and the far off parts of the world to be found where your roots are. Watauga Lake was formed over the land of some of my mother's direct relatives -- many of whom lost their homes when the lake was filled.

My mom had an Aunt Hadie who apparently was a notorious packrat. It is obviously that affliction is a genetic trait... Her place (the one she got after losing her first home to the lake) was apparently so full of stuff that it made walking around in there difficult. I remember many years ago when they let the water out of the lake to clean the silt, she and other folks were allowed to return to their original homesites. Seems like that would have been a very interesting experience.

Ran into an old teacher at Mayland yesterday. She remembered me differently that I remember being... I was scared to death of her, and she thought I was a model student. I guess the truth lies somewhere between...

Loved this daisy near my car this morning. It was alone in what had apparently been a bed of daisies, so this late riser stood there alone, no fear of the attention, and confident enough to be full of life on a hot summer day. Inspiration for the new day.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers