Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Shoes

Tonight, I got a replacement pair of shoes in the mail for Mary Kathryn for a pair that were inexplicably stolen while we were walking down to the Pacific at the Cliff House. So I replaced the Target-bought shoes with some brand name, but I did it because I am fascinated by how the shoes made Mary Kathryn feel.


I have had my own shoe moments -- both from buying a pair that I liked or some that were more amazing than I thought possible. For years, I have lived off of three pairs of shoes: oxblood, tasseled, wingtips, same shoes but black and a pair of loafers. When the old ones wore out, I bought a new pair to match them. I also own the other required types of footwear: climbing boots, tennis shoes (not running shoes, not joggers, not cross-trainers: TENNIS shoes), cleats and Birkenstocks. What I don't own: flip-flops. Can't stand footwear that isn't grabbing a hold of my ankles...

Last year, in San Fran, I bought a pair of new shoes that were totally not me, but completely are now. In fact, when I got to Tampa on Saturday, Gerald looked at my shoes and started laughing. "What's so funny?" He then began to tell me that he had bought a similar pair of shoes and started to put them on that morning, and Mel said: "Those aren't you. David could pull that off, but you can't..." They're great to drive in, and even better to just hang out in.

So bless them shoes, and those who wear them well. To a great pair of boots, or someone who loves nothing more than wearing flip-flops. Here's to that pair of shoes that looks great on the floor, or bringing you up a few little inches.

Besides, I am best with no shoes on at all. I love being barefooted.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers