Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fun in Dallas

We had a great dinner last night in Dallas with my friends from Keystone and hosted by the president of one of our vendors there at his home. It was a true Texas affair -- great Tex Mex food along with a couple fellas playing their guitars in classic Mariachi fashion. Despite the rain, we all had the kind of time that make business partners friends and leads to a long-term and profitable relationship.


Of course, for me, it was accompanied by the opportunity to take lots of pictures, many of them quite funny (like the one here) but I truly just enjoyed the time talking and listening, taking in the atmosphere of camaraderie.

Today was the third of three busy days and I got home late. But I felt very good about our meetings and hope that the rest of the week will be equally productive.

One interesting story from last night: as we returned to the hotel, a number of our folks were already there. Susan Barbee stopped us at the door and mentioned that "the guy from the UPS Whiteboard commercials" was in the lobby. Immediately my ears perked up. It was one of my favorite stories from the New Yorker, or the New York Times, or some other place where I read stuff like that, about this ad agency based in Richmond that has done some pretty remarkable work. So I did what I do: I glided over (I had enjoyed a few beers by then) and started chatting with the two guys. We had an interesting conversation -- they were in Dallas because they are pitching Pizza Hut (whose headquarters is immediately adjacent to the Marriott where we stayed) -- and then afterwards, the rest of us meandered over the bar where we were originally headed, to wind down/continue our evening.

It was fun. I am tired. But thankful for many good things in my life. There are things that I love, and others apparently do to. There are other things I cannot stand. But at the end of the day, I am both content and pleased with where my life is headed.

...and tomorrow, I get the kids! I have missed them so.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers