Thursday, September 30, 2010

Crashing ugh...

No pic because today was a mishmash of events, driving between the hotel, appointments, and then airport in ATL (a model of how NOT to do things, in my opinion). After Chris and I decided we would just sit in the club at the airport and work for a while prior to departure. BIG MISTAKE. Between 5 pm and 6 pm, I saw most of my carefully constructed good day go to hell -- an angst-filled phone call, misplaced $300 sunglasses, about 10,000 people shoved into a space the size for 20, and too much uncertainty about my life in general.


The near-complete breakdown was pushed to the brink in the middle of the "D" terminal at the words: "The flight to Charlotte will be delayed... (pause for dramatic pause) for mechanical reasons... (little pause) and we expect your flight to begin boarding at... (a period of time measured in minutes, by my memory) 9 o'clock this evening." And with that, a nearly simultaneous "WTF!!!" went out from the 120 people closest to the poor woman making the announcement.

Chris and I looked at each and thought the same thing: if we had left Atlanta when we were finished at 1 pm and driven home, we'd nearly be there by now. Attempt to change planes -- #9 and #10 on waiting list. Find sunglasses. Discuss all of the bad options: wait and hope for 9 pm flight (with the likely getting stuck in Charlotte); stay in ATL for the evening and go home tomorrow (screwing up schedule AND likely being delayed by the 2 feet of water falling out of the sky for the last four and the next three days); or drive home in a rented car.

Walked into my place at 1:50 am. Longest I've sat while someone else drove in my life. Good conversations. Plans to take over the world outlined. Delirious state of mind for the last 30 minutes. Fear for Chris as he drives home to Fayetteville. Mail. Rain. Home.

Best line I wrote today: feel dead right now... just the way empty love feels...

Night world. Smiling children to see and North Carolina soil under my feet and tires tomorrow. That's a good day to come.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers