Saturday, September 11, 2010

Aperture

When I walked out to start packing, the cool air inside was causing significant condensation on the windows, and obscuring the buildings outside and to the south of the Hilton. I liked the effect, so I pulled the camera out and started taking a few pictures.


But almost immediately noticed that the pictures did not reflect "what I saw," mainly because the camera's eye wasn't seeing it the same way my eyes were. So I had to think and then -- Aha! remembered why it was...

So I changed the aperture -- the width of the opening of the lens to get a greater "depth of field." One of the aspects of the camera that you learn is that aperture and shutter speed are two parts of the light triangle and the the higher the aperture, the slower the speed, but with it is a greater ability to see the full depth of the picture. Otherwise what you get is a blurry background that is pleasant in certain pictures, but not so much when the buildings behind give you a better idea of what the scene was at that moment.

This was what I saw, and what I felt, this morning. Thankfully I was able to capture it in the way I wanted.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers