Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Weird collections, and hot day...

I collect weird stuff. I still keep my comic books from my childhood, and love pottery, first edition books, campaign buttons and North Caroliniana (material about the state). I think I get this weird obsession about collecting from my mom, and her Aunt Haddie, who is the family example of why you shouldn't have too much stuff as the dust may take over the house.


But I am particularly proud of my Piedmont gate posters. Yes, a terribly weird thing to collect, but it goes all the way back to college. I had this really cool Washington poster that had the dome of the Capitol with the simple Washington DC and the official tagline: "Piedmont. The Up and Coming Airline." It was a dominating image that seemed to epitomize what someone visiting the town might see.

One of the core fights of my late marriage was my decision to purchase a big collection of Piedmont gate posters. It nearly completed my grouping, and was a great find at a great price. But this idea was a decision that was not universally agreed upon... well, like many things, it was never meant to be a partnership so it became one more piece of evidence of what I needed to do to get away.

So today I got one of the missing pieces -- which is ironic in so many ways. First, it was one of the rare Chicago posters. Second, I just got back from... oh yeah, you probably already know that. Third, it's got a sculpture by Picasso that is in Chicago -- see, I told you he had one! So here is my new Chicago poster. One day, I will hang them all or just keep them.

Oh, and it was hot here today. Really hot.

Avoidance is not something I do. I manage so much every day to not go over the edge. It's all going to be ok in time.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers