Saturday, July 3, 2010

Third of July in Banner Elk


Continuing a feeling I had yesterday, there is a little bit of this weekend that feels like an echo of last year. Not as much sadness, a little more confidence and the same level of uncertainty but stronger in so many ways. It is so odd to think how much different my life is today than it was fifteen months ago, and yet to feel so empty and clear at the same time. Maddening...

But with the parade, and fireworks, and the Smith Mtn picnic and drinks with my cousin Caitlyn, I had plenty of distractions. Plus I got to watch EspaƱa score in the last minutes of a great game. And the kids were fantastic. Drew rode with my mom in her Garden Club "float" while Kaylee and Mary Kathryn walked the animals -- Spots the Goat and daddy's dog, Annie.

I walked the parade route and took lots of pics -- over 350 of nearly fifty "entries" and literally thousands of people in Banner Elk. It was great, great fun, and just enjoyed the energy of the people, the pride of the day. But my pic of the day was this one of Mary Kathryn, and it came in a way that I never expected. One admission: I edited out the power lines in Photoshop. But I just love everything else about this picture.

Tonight's picnic was fun. Up on top of Smith Mtn (above the family cemetery), it was an open fire, good food prepared by many hands (we contributed an apple pie and blueberry crisp) and catching up with family and friends. But wistful thoughts, doubts and managing my own expectations just mean I need to breathe more. and more. and more.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers