Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fireworks

Started the day a little late before heading off to church. It was a day where I feared I was going to feel the need to defend myself -- politically, theologically or otherwise -- but that never actually occurred. I guess there is an element of who I am that I feel the need to stand up for in so many ways that I have to figure out why that is.


Read my friend Jeannie's blog and really got a lot of good from it. She wrote a couple entries about attachment and the difficulty we have focusing on the now and concentrating on the future. My favorite line: "We sometimes forget to enjoy right now because we are so worried about how it will end. It all ends...childhood, vacation, life, lemon pie...we can only hope to make the most of this moment."

After a nice long nap (and a series of unusual dreams), spent a long time this evening in conversation and trying to get my stuff together to go home tomorrow. It's been nearly two weeks since I slept in my own bed and I am frankly looking forward to those familiar few square feet.

Tonight, the fireworks at Elk River were great. I had a handful of good pics but really liked the two I chose for the blog. Then afterwards went to Derrick's so that the kids could set off the rest of their fireworks. Thankfully had a lighter from a night of driving around Gboro and it made the night a little less stressful. But for some reason, I got to bed this evening feeling a little anxious, not very happy for some unknown reason and thinking that the trip home tomorrow will bring me back to center.

Will close with a conversation I had last night with my cousin and the meaning of being a Smith. That Smithness causes us to be less than always tolerant and a little more gruff, according to Caitlyn. I guess I can see that in the Smith men I know well, and I guess it was a perspective that I needed, and giving me something else to work on.

Happy Fourth of July.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers