Saturday, July 17, 2010

Celebrating life...

Woke up super early today -- someone near me was hammering on their wall at 5 am, which is always the best time to hang something up.


Once Drew and I got to Greenville (or rather, when Drew woke up in Greenville), the day had started in full... at 8:30 am, on a Saturday. But the best part of my day was before 9 am when I stood in the bathroom and listened to the color commentary on life, changing clothes, the smell of the bathroom and pretty much any other random thought that came into his head while he was dressing. And, at the end of that process, after getting his wild mane in control, he decided he needed a hat. The boy undoubtedly has his own sense of fashion.

The next four hours were a bit of a whirlwind, with visitation, isolation, celebration, and perspiration, ending in Bethel, at the cemetery, in the hot sun, listening to taps, and watching the flag be folded. There were lots of reminders of my place in that family, but at the end I was proud to see my children showing their respect, and glad that I had chosen to be there and say goodbye to Uncle Doug.

It was weird to be in Greenville, for a number of reasons. Mary Jo's family are long-time Pitt County residents, and I have been there so many times in the last 20 years that I have been there because of a family need, or a holiday. And driving into town really was almost old hand. But when I turned off Charles Blvd, onto 5th Street, another set of memories came out. I remembered Matthew and Ann's wedding, and the second time we saw each other. And I was suddenly lost in thought...

I also had the chance to remember my favorite Chesson relative (technically she was a Spruill who married a Chesson). Doug and Mary's mother was a great person, an engaging personality and had a wit that could not be matched. She was always sharp, right to the very end, and was someone I loved to spend time with. Mrs. Chesson -- her full legal name was Stella Marie Spruill Chesson -- just always brought you in and you loved her for it. One Christmas eve we spent in her house in Bethel, only to be woke up at 4 am when the train rolled through town on the tracks that we less than 50 feet from the house.

Got home with Mary Kathryn, who was tired as hell from her week at Passport, and slept a big part of the trip back and then for a couple hours after we got home. Gave me a chance to watch Good Will Hunting, an incredibly well written movie that I hadn't watched in a very long time. I can't encourage you to watch it enough. It's that good.

My favorite line: Do what's in your heart, son, and you'll be ok... I completely agree.

Then after bringing Drew back, I saw the image that became tonight's picture. The effect of the water on the back-up camera, and the warning message seemed like a fun photo to share.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers