Monday, July 12, 2010

Comfort Food for heart, soul and body...

A few things to think about today. First, the passing of a man who I dearly loved, but lost my relationship with because of my decision to no longer be married to his niece. Doug was a good man and a gentle soul, and someone that the ravages of a stroke destroyed nearly everything that was great about him. I remember hitting it off with him almost immediately after meeting him, early in the engagement period with Mary Jo, and our common interests in computers, arguing and peacemaking, and love for his mother, helped us be good friends.


Doug's death was long in coming, for he had been very sick for a number of years. My greatest regret was that I never made a strong enough attempt to reconcile with him. I accept that the decision we made to end our marriage hurt Mary Jo more than me, and that is was his responsibility to worry about her. But I always cared for Doug and his death, even though a positive thing for him, means that I will live with that loss.

I am trying to do a little more prayer in my life, and the news of the last few days makes it even more critically important. I have prayed the same core prayer for over a year -- thanking God for my children, for RDH, for my family and my friends. For Christ's sacrifice and for the day ending or the one about to begin. I used to carry a list of folks for whom I needed to pray and added it to my list recently because so many people lately need prayer. Today I heard about a friend whose cancer has returned, and I think about my friends who are suffering through their own pain and suffering or helping a family member through their own.

I'm not always sure what prayer does, but it at least extends a positive thought of comfort, of healing and assurance for someone who may not otherwise have it. It can be strengthening, and frankly I believe it has the ability to carry the light to those who need it, whether they know it or not.

Today I was comforted by helping someone I care for greatly, my son being thankful for little things and a few minutes of careful meditation about confidence and patience.

Comfort food comes in many forms. I am going to crawl in bed in a few and enjoy the seventh book again... for the fourth time. Well, the fourth book always was my favorite.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers