Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mourning with laughter

I've taken to making notes during the day for what I will write at night, which is really helping a lot. Funny how these habits (like driving water for me a year ago) become so easily integrated after a while...


Today, I went to Hendersonville to the Episcopal church there for the funeral service for my friend, Rob Cranford. It was a joyous occasion, with so many people filling this fine church, most of whom were laughing their way through the eulogies. Rob was a great guy -- I knew that without having to hear the stories -- but it was wonderful to hear people tell their own experiences and to see that they matched my own so well. And on this day, the Hendersonville paper published this editorial about Rob's role in their community. It was a fine tribute, joined by the smiles, the laughs and the tears of so many at the death of a man with a heart too big.

My favorite words were from a eulogist who said to Rob's two sons (both in the twenties): Your dad did not leave big shoes for you to fill; he gave you your own shoes. And then Rob's 23 year old son paid his father the highest tribute possible when he said that his dad was a free thinker and a lover of knowledge. Wow!

I would reflect on more but I was struck by so much and was glad most of all that Rob was my friend. I will miss him, and I keep his family, his friends and the Morrow survivors in my prayers.

Today's picture, and being in the church reminded me what I miss about the Episcopal service. I love the architecture and the feel of the building. The ritual, and BCP and so much made me lng for a Sunday in that worshipful environment.


I wanted to close today by sharing a great new video from a couple "kids" in my old neighborhood in Durham. It was cool to listen to their song, but cooler to see the sights of Durham in this way.

D90 12mm f/5.6 1/1250 ISO 400

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers