Thursday, March 11, 2010

Masks

The Terrell House owners are avid collectors. A dining room full of spoons, teacups, and silver. A living room of trinkets and doodads. But at the top of the steps, was an amazing collection of masks.


Every kind of mask, from African to clowns, New Orleans and theatrics. And arranged in a way that completely surprised me the first time I saw them last night, my first reaction was "WOW! I have to take a picture of that." I was headed out to the car to get something I needed, and on the way back in, I had completely forgotten about them.

So this morning, as I was coming out of the room and going down for breakfast, I saw them again and was again so surprised. And pissed I had missed it last night. So I scooted back up a few steps and started clicking shots. And shot, and shot, and shot. Adjusting light, holding focus, trying to get the right perspective. And then I went down and enjoyed breakfast. Warm muffin, eggs and bacon and a little potato cake. The right way to start the day.

But the masks stuck with me all day. We all have masks, and we wear them well. The truth of ourselves are hidden from all but those who care. Some are worn so much they can't be seen past, others abandoned by reality, misuse or the need to grow up. I feel blessed that many of mine are hanging on a wall, and was thankful for a surprising wall of colors and shapes to remind me of where I am.

D300 12mm f/4 1/12 ISO 200

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers