Friday, October 1, 2010

School Dance

Tonight I had the honor of driving Mary Kathryn to a school dance, perhaps her first one... and then was summarily dismissed to return at the appointed hour. And in the interim attempted to repair a damaged disk, and failed. But I got a few minutes of time with Drew, with his deep appreciation for a few minutes of time, sharing a slice of pizza and his nearly constant hugs, and questions...


This morning, while on our trip from one school to the other, Drew and I got to share our favorite time together. If I lose that time because of a school change, I may be far sadder than I would readily admit. But he sat in the front seat, simply glad to be there, but also apologetic for his inquisition on history, inventions, physics or warfare. We discussed his ability to learn lyrics and how it impresses me. He looked so proud... I asked him what I could do to protect him from the yelling, and he simply held my arm tighter and said, "You're doing it." Those simple, quiet words reiterating the fact that doing sometimes has no value -- loving, by listening, holding and giving. Simplicity that I too often ignore and appreciate his reminder this morning.

I did have a period of quiet rage this afternoon -- induced by work drama and regrettably unable to be easily resolved. I grow so tired of it...

The weekend ahead shall involve many trips to Durham, but I get time with the kids. What could possibly be better...

364 days since last I lay...

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers