Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sometimes a Thousand Words aren't necessary...

Here are four pictures I took today in St. Louis. Obviously I found a great deal to like about the Gateway Arch (as I learned it is actually called today), in particular the architectural design, its construction and how remarkable it seems that a public works project like this could ever have been funded, built and there was little political consequence suffered as a result. But it is really one of those things that, in my opinion, have always made our country great.


You look at the places like San Francisco and New York with their monumental bridges, the Hoover Dam, or any other number of places where similar things have been done. And it makes me proud that we once had the courage to build something like this, so important and defining.

The first picture is from our room at the Four Seasons, as the sun was rising over Illinois this morning.

The second picture is from underneath the north "leg" of the arch. Something remarkable in context.

The third was taken as we were leaving the park, and one of the most beautiful pictures I think I've taken of a place.

Finally, the last picture was taken as we were riding over the Missouri River, and the sun was setting over the west along the path that Lewis and Clark took as they were setting off to find the northwest passage.

Two great quotes. One was from Phenomenon, where John Travolta was talking to the woman he loved, with the knowledge that he was about to die. He asked her, "Will you love me for the rest of my life?" Her response: "No, I'll love you for the rest of mine." Always a quote that epitomized love.

Finally, a nice note about the ghosts of Halloweens past from a good friend. Made memories rise to the forefront of my mind, and just moved them through in the only way I can.

Guess the thousand words were a part of what I needed to say, even if they weren't necessary.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers