Friday, October 8, 2010

Elegant Night and True Friendship

Enjoyed a wonderful evening with friends -- preparing for the marriage of Gene and Mary Kaitland.


Started my day VERY early -- Drew was having "the dream about spiders" and needed me to go with him to the bathroom so that they wouldn't get him. (Originally, he wanted me to go get his sister, until he woke up enough to realize it was me... Found it so wonderful that he loves and trusts her so much that he really did want her to protect him in that moment of fear... It says a lot about both of them, and makes me quite proud of the strength of their bond. Also makes me tear up to think about...)

The wedding rehearsal was like most -- the groom and the bride leaving the details to people for whom details have not yet been considered. I swear that I should start doing some of this... At one point, the wedding "director" lost track of where she was, what we ought to do, how we ought to do it, and seemingly... well, I'll be nice. Thanks to my mom for showing me (and others) how that job should be done.

Dinner this evening at the Cardinal Club was good, but the better part was the toasts offered to Gene and Mary Kaitland. It was so wonderful to hear them both, and to honor them as individuals and as friends. As I said, Gene has been my dear friend, with whom I have seen and survived many things. I have been blessed by his friendship like few others and now am proud to stand with him as he marries a wonderful woman and a great partner. They will be great, and strong, and amazing together...

Tomorrow I marry off my other best friend -- that makes both in a year, hell in just a few months.

The hardest words: "Gene, when I first met her, I said to him: 'Marry her. You won't ever find someone better.'" Reminded me of something Gene once said to me. Glad he listened.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers