Tuesday, April 20, 2010

To Do's

There was a time where I was the most organized person. I had a to-do list and I worked that list on a daily basis. That list was legendary -- the hallmark of my work life because I captured EVERYTHING that needed to be done, and I got it done.


But the last few years, that left me. It was the inability to manage so many things, it was the overall feeling of being overwhelmed by life, expectations and responsibilities, it was failure on my part to find (by that I mean look) for a system that worked for me. And I was an everliving mess as a result of it. I wouldn't get things done. I would not do things I needed to do because it would require actual thought, or sacrifice, or just doing it. So I stayed in a paralyzed mode, hence a number of problems in my life arose.

So many people tried to help me. Ruth must have typed up a to-do list for me too many times. But I think what I came to realize is that like so many things in my life, I was suffering from ailments (both physical and mental) to manage myself.

But in the last few weeks, it's returned, like an old friend. It's different than before (a nice five column approach that I like a lot) and I feel so much better about the way I think and do. So today is a celebration of to-do lists -- those often forgotten tools who help us get things done, be productive, successful and happy, at least in most of our lives.

Had dinner with my parents in Marion tonight to celebrate our birthdays. I gave them a couple pictures, which they both seemed to really like, and spent quality time in a way that I appreciated far more than I thought possible. It was nice because I could tell when I left, that they had enjoyed the time together as well. It was a refreshing moment for a son who spends his time on the road, separated from those he loves, to be recharged for another day of battle.

To answer a question, yes, I was sad. Not much to be done about that right now.

D300 180mm micro f/5.6 1/8 ISO 200

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers