Monday, April 26, 2010

Old Paint and Purpose

Morning meeting in North Wilkesboro, afternoon meeting in Raleigh. Two drives through Gboro to get lost in thought and wondering...


North Wilkesboro is one of those really interesting, you'd never think of, places. First, it is the sole Democratic bastion in the entire county. It's almost like the Republican Party in Wilkes County set up the town as a containment area. So whenever I go, it is always a place that I feel the most comfortable. Plus this weekend is Merlefest, which I will not be able to go to AGAIN, but mainly because this is beach retreat weekend. To hear today that Little Feat and Zac Brown Band will be playing just made my heart even more tempted. Ugh... plus if I heard "Whatever It Is," I just would not make it.

But coming out of my 11 am appointment, I looked across the street and saw this old Lowes sign, painted on the building. And I was reminded that Lowes, that household name for huge damn hardware stores, was started in North Wilkesboro, and was headquartered there until recently. And then I remembered how much I love to see old paint on the side of a building, reflecting its history, preserved better than an old bone in the desert. A surviving relic of a better time, that shouldn't be painted over, and never removed.

So I sit here tonight, thankful, sad — no Merlefest :-( but a bit of history stood out today and said hello! Hi!

Oh, and welcome to the land of the free, Nelson Mandela!

D300 70mm f/5 1/6400 ISO 1600

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers