Monday, November 1, 2010

All Saints' Day

Early morning, first real chill in my body, still Daylight Savings Time but those socks are looking good, and memories of a friend who passed away too young.


We got home from St. Louis fine (thanks for checking!) and resolved a number of work items before getting in the condo. Seems that work always needs to get done.

When I dropped Drew off, I saw the remains of a pumpkin on the front steps of their mom's house, and it just seem apropos for this time of year. The feeling of death is in the air -- the leaves, the grass, the air's chill taking out so much of the fun that the suggestion of warmth gives our bodies and minds. And I think about the passing of Uncle Doug, the echoes of Charlie's death, and how I heard the dread of dealing with another death in my daughter's voice yesterday when she called to talk to me about it, or the exhaustion she exhaled when we spoke and hugged this afternoon.

The writer of Ecclesiastes said that worrying about our lives is "vanities of vanity." Today, in reflection of the challenge to see which of us would be the first to capture a photograph of a lightening bug, I realize that when I do finally take that picture, it will be way that a life will live on...

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers