Thursday, November 11, 2010

Alleghany County

This morning, I awoke early again to head off to another meeting. This morning, it was the first time I had been in Sparta, North Carolina since I was a sophomore in high school.


Back in the day, the Avery County High School tennis team dominated the conference. Our only real competitors were the thugs from Alleghany County High School. Their coach was a complete ass, and never hesitated to do whatever he could do to throw us off our game.

One time he resorted the seeds so that he might have a better chance of winning the team competition. Another he tried to distract us with loud music. The worst was when he literally had his chumps start some physical altercation with us. Needless to say, he didn't like us and... well, you get one guess what I thought of him.

So to be back there was a funny realization for me. Some things never change.

I was blessed to start my day going up US 21 and heading up the mountain in a way I had never been before. It was pretty amazing to see how much color there still was among the leaves, even going into the higher elevations.

I had enough time to stop and look back into the valley where the sun, the fog, the haze and the distant hills (including Pilot Mountain) and to enjoy the morning crisp air. and it made me smile.

My rides lately have been enriched by the chapters of the second book in the Steig Larsson series. I am nearing the end and hope I'm not too disappointed when it ends. Means that I will have to get the final book soon so I can start planning the next books...

I have a long philosophical perspective to share, due to my conversation with Melanie last night. I will get around to it soon. But in the meantime... the kids and I will enjoy Orlando.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers