Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saturday with so much to do

Today, I was very and happily busy.


I started my day in Durham at Watts Street with the youth group working the Second Hand Treasures event. The day started very early, at least for a Saturday, and was actually a lot of fun. There was tons of "treasures" there, and a ton of people too... And I just liked being there.

My funniest moment was telling some folks there about how much I was enjoying the "The Girl Who Played with Fire" audiobook. Perhaps my description was too... emotional since a few of the youth started laughing at me... which only made sense. Sometimes I can be a complete loser when I get excited about a topic, or something about which I'm passionate.


Afterwards I went to a Common Cause post-election forum to hear the opinions of "those in the know" about why we Democrats did so poorly during the 2010 mid-term elections. What I failed to hear was us taking any accountability for the political realities of cycles, and overreaching. I also failed to hear why we ought to be thinking about to work better with the middle. It's a little funny how much I have been beat up by my friends over the last few weeks and how much I never hesitate to to defend where we are. I often think that I am uncertain whether we ought to be more progressive or more moderate.

The president said something a couple weeks ago that a big part of the political realities of America today is Congressional districts are political art to make the most conservative and the most liberal districts, and nothing for moderates. We need a more accepting environment for people's differences, stop believing in fear and start again with the material hope that there is something more important for us all to invest together, work together and make a difference for everyone. Sorry -- rant over.

Ended the day in Greensboro at Heather and Pat's house for dinner with a bunch of friends. We were there ostensibly to celebrate Chris's birthday, but more than anything to just enjoy each other's company. It was a wonderful November dinner of pork and root vegetables, great sweet potato casserole and a hummingbird cake to end the night. I was lucky enough to get home with some leftovers (yes, I know how you feel about them, but I didn't want to make lunch today).

Of course, given the company, a good deal of wine and Crown Royal was drunk, but I rode with someone so I was safe. Our designated driver was looking for a new way to Wendover, so I took David and Cathy down US 29/220 and Lee Street to get back to I-40. I am convinced it's the best way to get onto Wendover from the interstate... but the slightly intoxicated state of mind, riding down Lee Street, caused me to be lost in the memory of that March morning, and how it was the last day...

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers