Friday, December 24, 2010

Thankful for my children...

This morning, I was awoken by Mary Kathryn at 7:30 am to tell me that it was time for Drew and I to get up so we could open presents. Reminded me of my own Christmas mornings many years ago, only I don't think that I would have been brave enough to have woke my parents up like that.


So the kids and I sat down on the floor of the living room, and I watched them open up each of their presents -- Drew first (by MK's direction) and then she ripped her own open. Of course her favorite was the one she knew the least about -- the armadillo can holder!

The wonder on their faces is always the best part of Christmas. Reminds me of my own childhood, and the way I felt every time I opened a present. I really sometimes wish I could restore that same appreciation for Christmas morning. In fact, the absence of that mystery and appreciation of the moment is probably the biggest reason I don't love Christmas like I used to.

But to spend this little bit of time is as important as any gift I could ever get, or give, and that makes this Christmas as special as any.

----

Loved this horoscope: "There's always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in," wrote novelist Graham Greene. I'll add to that: There are at least three moments in adulthood when a new door opens and invites the rest of the future in. Judging by the astrological omens, I'm guessing that one such breakthrough lies ahead for you in 2011. What can you do to expedite and encourage fate's summons? Here's one possibility: Surrender to the naked truth of what you love.

0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers