Saturday, December 25, 2010

Thankful for Family...

I did not want to be alone today, so last night, after the Watts Street Candlelight Service and Lovefeast, I drove to Banner Elk, arriving near 11 pm. I walked into my parents' house, walking through cold air into a dark sunroom. After getting my handful of presents around the tree, I walked down the hall and crawled into bed.


This morning, it took me a few minutes to realize where I was, and that today was Christmas. But when it occurred to me, I didn't bounce up or any such reaction -- instead I just walked into the kitchen where my mom was making breakfast.

My parents and I spent a while talking, sharing news and talking about the kids. It was a nice way to spend the first few minutes of this day. We exchanged presents and then got ready to go to Hickory. It was most definitely a White Christmas -- snow falling, roads getting icy and wind swirling fog and powder. The people driving for the most part shouldn't -- too slow and uncertain to be safe, but the slush was making it tough for everyone to drive, including me.

But a Christmas lunch later, with presents opened, I got in the car and drove home, in the snow, mist, rain and traffic. But glad that I was able to enjoy my family -- parents, siblings, etc -- and my Christmas, even without seeing my children. Today was the first Christmas in their lives I didn't see them at all, but that didn't make me overly sad... well, until I wrote that. But the afterglow of our time yesterday, and the simple love I share with them.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all... a Good Night!


0 comments:

Blogs I Read

Followers